Sunday, April 26, 2009

For Dash at 18 months

My Dearest Dash,

I'm sorry I've been so bad at keeping up with writing these for you - I already feel like I'm going to be terrible at keeping up with them for your baby brother!

Speaking of which, I suppose that's as good a place as any to start. You're going to be a big brother this August and despite how many times I tell you or explain it or make you watch a Discovery baby show, you have NO CLUE. You seem to think that my growing belly is just something for you to play on. When Fin was in your shoes, he seemed to grasp it all. But then again, Fin always loved babies - much the same way you love ducks. I guess I'd have better luck explaining to you that there was a duck in there :)

We are getting ready to take your second vacation to Topsail - I hope you like the beach as much as you did on your first visit and that you continue to have far more patience for sand than your brother does! We're flying out there without Daddy because he's saving time off for August, so Mommy is more than a little nervous about how she's going to handle you and Fin through a red eye flight with a connection. But I know you'll have a great time with your grandparents and your uncles and it will be nice for Mommy and Daddy to get a break in before your brother arrives.

Speaking of travelling, you continue to amaze all of us with your speed! One of the other Daddies at MyGym remarked that if his son could keep up with you, he was in good shape. The only problem is that you are NOT very coordinated. You trip and fall a thousand times an hour and your ability to smack your head into things is truly amazing. On the bright side, nothing seems to rattle you. You fell down the front steps the other day, stood up, SPIT out gravel and laughed at your scraped up face. You're all boy, that's for sure!

Your talking has picked up AMAZINGLY in the past few weeks - you can repeat anything that Mommy or Daddy says and you're finally able to say "Fin". One of your first perfect words was "please" and you use it all the time now - it makes Mommy so proud! You're still eating everything in sight and I really don't know where you put it! You are quickly approaching 25 lbs and wearing all 2T already, but you easily eat double what Fin does and some days I swear you eat more than your pregnant Mommy. You love any fresh fruit and you are obsessed with "dipping". You will eat anything as long as you have something to dip it in - from guacamole and salsa to marinara or alfredo and of course ketchup. You're not so keen on meat these days, and have also developed quite a taste for chocolate.

Our days are still pretty busy with Fin in school. Mommy is trying to keep up with walks on Mondays and Wednesdays, but as she gets larger they shorten and shorten. We always find our way to the lake because you LOVE the ducks! You scream at the top of your lungs every time you see them! Mommy tries to make sure we have a little bread to feed them and they even nipped you taking it right out of your hand last week - you didn't seem to mind and kept right on going. Tuesdays and Thursdays Fin is in school till noon and we get a little time alone together. On Tuesdays I take you to get a bagel and then we're off to MyGym. You love it but absolutely refuse to sit still for circle time - there's just too much for you to run around and do! Fin's school friends Owen and Colin have little siblings in your class so it's nice for Mommy to have some time to chat too. You're getting very good at sharing and always want to play with the other children - from balls to pushing them on the swings. We still spend plenty of time visiting with James - who is now just as much your friend as Fin's - and Monika. You get out of the car at her house and run to bang on the door screaming "Monika" perfectly! We even get playtimes with Maya and little Leila some days. I wish I had as many friends at your age as you do!

Ok my dear, time to go get some things done. I can't believe how quickly you're growing! It won't be long before I have to plan your second birthday fete and figure out what you'll be for Halloween. And just as I typed that, you laid your head down on my lap - I'm so glad you're my little boy!

All My Love,
Mom

No comments: