Monday, January 05, 2009

Resolutions Smesolutions

I have a post that I so badly want to write, but I need ooonnnee more thing to fall into place before I'm allowed to. Which is hard because that post is ALL that I want to write. And I promised the nice ad folks at BlogHer that I would post at least weekly. Never mind that I said I would make it interesting. Alas you are stuck with this rant for quasi rant/ call for assistance for now...

I HATE New Year's Resolutions.

The whole concept that one day of the calendar is a better day to change something than any other day is s-t-u-p-i-d.

(I have to spell s-t-u-p-i-d now because Fin says it's a bad word and people who say it will go to jail. He has a long list of these allegedly bad words - b-u-t-t is another one - and I have NO idea where he got the idea that you go to jail, but whatever works right?)

Anyway, I also don't like being left out. So the fact that everyone I know is making these resolutions makes me feel obligated to make one as well. So I was trying to come up with some ideas...

Lose Weight? So over that one. Ditto Eat Healthier or Exercise More. Curse less? I gave that up when Fin became a parrot, which is good since he's now evolved into the language police. Like his mama, he has no shame to correct strangers either. hehe.

So what to do? My house couldn't be cleaner. I think I do a good job of entertaining my wee beasties. I'd like to go to Church more often, but it's hard to come home feeling full of the Holy Spirit when all you want to do is scream at the kids for their poor behavior. I think I'm pretty nice to my mom. There's nothing about my life right now that I'd really like to change. And yes, I know that probably makes me pretty lucky so don't tell me to be more appreciative. My car does need an oil change but I don't think that counts. I really would like to cook more, and I actually thought of starting that tonight but then Brooks was in traffic and didn't get home till 8:30 so any dinner would have been totaled.

Anyone have any bright ideas? I don't feel bound by dates, but I feel like I should come up with something soon. Then again, maybe you can just start helping me think of something to give up for lent :)

2 comments:

Cara said...

Give up caffeine for Lent and see how long everything else still feels in place and in control....no wait that's an awful idea when you have two little ones. One of my resolutions is to make more of an effort to see my grandparents, and the other is to quit complaining about being out of shape and actually do something about it.

Joasia said...

Maybe start or work on a new skill? Like knitting or sewing or something else? Or vow to take more time for yourself. Why do New Year's resolutions have to be about punishment? Why not giving yourself something. You deserve it! :)