Sunday, June 20, 2010

Woob

How do you say Happy Father's Day to the man who made you a mother?
First night out - first spark of interest ;)

I was immediately attracted to you, but never in my wildest dreams did I think I would find myself 10 (almost 11!)years later, mother of your three beautiful boys and still just as madly in love...

One year anniversary of meeting - and celebrating both of our birthdays

You are a kind father, a loving dad. Even Kell wants nothing more than to be around you as much as possible. Ok, and for you to be holding him and lavishing all of your attention on him too. I've never seen a baby who loved his father as much as he does. His happiest moments of the day are when you go get him in the morning and when he sees you return at night so he can coo "Dada" at you...

Just Married - honeymoon self-portrait

You are a patient father, a good listener. When I'm mad at him, or yell at him, Dash will often tell me that he's going to tell you. "I'm telling MY DADDY!" Righter of wrongs, soother of hurts. While I get bored trying to go over the colors once, you have the patience to sit with him and do it repeatedly. You are the "take your time" to my "hurry up". And when Dash spouts off 10 minutes of unintelligible ranting, you get on his level and give it your best effort to understand him. Some days he forgets that you're at work and wakes up from his nap crying for you. I understand the impulse...

First time father (abysmal mother photographer :)

You are an involved father, a great teacher. When you had the opportunity this year to coach Fin's t-ball team, you stepped up. You knew that it would be a significant time commitment and that it would be a challenge to make all of those Friday afternoon practices, but you did it. And your son has benefited more than we know. When asked about t-ball, he will proudly gush that his daddy is his coach. And he's not the only one on the team who feels that way. Your gentleness and humor make all the kids your fans. When people see Fin play video games, they're blown away. How could he not play well with all of the coaching he's gotten from you there! And the list goes on and on, helping him sound out words, write his name, try new foods...

My 10 year high school reunion - I had a hot date!

You are an encouraging partner, an easy husband. What I mean by easy is that I find being with you effortless. Sure we argue and you are NOT a morning person, but I crave being near you. Coming home after our last two week Topsail adventure has been awful - we've all missed you so much! You are the first person I want to share good news with, the only one I want to tell my secrets to, and my favorite person to just "be" with...

And then there were three!

As we have grown up these past ten years, so has our relationship. And in this incarnation of us, I think the thing I appreciate the most is your encouragement. You consistently blow me away with your ability to cheer me in my successes and not judge me for my failures. You never make me feel like less for my culinary bombs or any of the other things I mess up. When I tell you I need to get out with the girls for a night, you never remind me how scarcely you do the same. You tell me to go and have a good time. When I tell you my wildest pipe dreams for the future, you never tell me how impossible they sound. When I told you I wanted to run the half marathon this year, you told me I could do anything I put my mind to. When I fell in love with photography, you upgraded my camera beyond what I even hoped for and told me to run with it...
And one more!

When I have one of those days where I feel like I'm just not doing anything well, that I don't have enough time to help Kell learn to crawl, to teach Dash his alphabet, to work on reading with Fin, or to iron your shirts...you're there to remind me that I am enough. That I do enough. That our children are happy, healthy, well-mannered. That our home is warm and clean. And that you don't mind going to the dry cleaners. I appreciate that beyond measure...

A Family Complete

I love you. Thank you for being my best friend. Thank you for choosing to be my husband. Thank you for making me a mother. Thank you for giving me the three greatest sons on the planet.

Happy Fathers Day Woob!

All my love,
M

No comments: